Going beyond Scrum
We've gathered a collection of links, activities and downloadable artefacts/printables to help you implement Agile ways of working in your organisation.
These resources are related to our Beyond Scrum training course. If you'd like a copy of the presentation deck from your training day or digital copies of the cards, please email email@example.com and we can send them to you.
- Initiative card (PDF) - a tool to help guide you through Discovery and Alpha, and into Delivery.
Discovery – What is the user need?
Discovery is the first stage in the design and development of a new product, service, process, policy or 'thing'. The goal of Discovery is to understand the users' or customers' needs as well and the business requirements, technical requirements and context in which this new thing will exist.
We've selected a few resources and PDFs that may help you in this stage.
- What is Discovery? (video 4 mins)
- Quantifying qualitative research (video 25 mins)
- Dual track - Discovery and Development at the same time.
- Using Trello for research
- Empathy map (PDF)
- Persona (PDF)
- Empathy wall example (PDF)
- Lean Canvas (PDF)
- Stakeholder map (PDF)
- User journey (PDF)
Alpha – How might we solve it?
Alpha is where you should be designing possible solutions to the user problems identified in Discovery. The idea is to design and test as many solutions as possible to help identify which solution would be most suitable.
Here are some templates to help you test designs in the Alpha phase.
Inception – Create a shared understanding
Below are a number of artefacts and templates that will help you prepare for your Delivery phase. Some of these should be completed prior to entering delivery and others are designed to be maintained throughout.
- Prioritisation - Bang 4 buck (PDF)
- Prioritisation for capacity (PDF)
- Trade-off sliders (PDF)
- Release plan (PDF)
- Story map (PDF)
- Dependency map (PDF)
- Risks and issues (PDF)
Check out our resources about the Delivery phase on our Learn about Agile page.
Measure and learn – Were we successful?
It's important to understand whether you have been successful in achieving what you set out to do. These things can help you do that effectively.
These resources are useful for leadership in all types of organisations – whether they are Agile or not.
- Objectives and key results
- Reality vs what we believe to be true - Liminal Thinking (video 20 mins)
- The Johari Window
- Thanks for the feedback. The science and art of receiving feedback well. (book)
- Non-violent communication (book)
- Unlocking your coaching habit
- Prevailing the transformation pendulum
- Beyond budgeting - adaptive management model
- Ten keys to launching an Agile transformation
- The Age of Agile (book)
- Red Cross: How a humanitarian organisation adopted Agile (case study, PDF)
We regularly share tips and insights via our own blog. Some of the links are above and you can view the full blog list here.